Understanding What Dentures Are and Who Can Use Them
It’s a common misconception that dentures are only for people that have age-related tooth loss. The fact is that dentures are an ideal solution for individuals that have lost their teeth due to any reason. There are a number of benefits to using dentures.
You can eat all the foods you like, speak without any trouble. They also prevent sag in your facial muscles which help you maintain a more youthful appearance. We at Luck Dental Clinic provide comprehensive denture services.
Dentures- What Are They?
Dentures are removable dental prosthetics. They are an excellent replacement for any missing teeth and look very natural as well. When you visit the dentist’s office, there are certain steps they would take to determine which solution will be best suited to you:
- The dentist will first evaluate the condition of your gums and mouth.
- They will assess which dentures will work best for you.
- A mold will be taken to ensure a perfect fit
- The dentures will be made based on the mold, creating custom prosthetics that fit well.
- The dentist will install the dentures and make adjustments as required.
You might feel slight discomfort while you get used to your new dentures. They may feel a little tight or loose while your facial muscles adjust to them. If this sensation doesn’t go away, you can come back to your dentist to get the dentures adjusted.
Different Types of Dentures
Based on your situation, the dentist will recommend different types of dentures such as:
1. Full dentures
- Immediate Dentures- These are placed on the same day all your teeth are removed. They are temporary features made from a mold taken during your primary visit to the clinic. You can use these till your gums heal.
- Conventional Dentures- These will replace your teeth entirely and are removable features. The plate attached to the top denture set is molded to fit the roof the mouth. The set on the lower jaw leaves room for your tongue. These dentures are fitted only after the gums have healed completely, post teeth extraction.
2. Partial dentures
- Overdentures– These are set on a wire framework and only replace the missing teeth. The healthy teeth won’t be removed. If some of your teeth are still in a good condition and don’t need to be extracted, they will be left in. These natural teeth provide support to the dentures.
Caring For Your Dentures
Dentures aren’t very resilient and you need to care for them well so they don’t chip or wear. Here are some denture care tips:
- Rinse the dentures before brushing them.
- Use a non-abrasive cleanser & soft bristle brush to clean the dentures.
- Place the dentures in a bowl covered with water when you aren’t using them- it will prevent warping.
The shape of your mouth can alter as you age. If you feel any irritation or excessive discomfort in your dentures, that could be a sign it’s time for you to go to the dental office for a checkup. Bi-annual checkups are the best way to make sure your dentures stay comfortable and last for a long time.
The Best Denture Services
If you’re considering either conventional or partial dentures, we can help. Our expert dentist will walk you through the entire process, ensuring you get a solution that is best suited to your needs. Our dentists stay abreast of all the advances in dental treatments and technologies. We can ensure you get excellent dentures that look natural and fit very well. We use the only the best products in our work and the dentures are made at the most advanced labs.
If you would like any more information about our dentures and other services, schedule a visit with one of our expert doctors. Contact Luck Dental Clinic via this form or simply call us at (715) 472-2211 to fix an appointment.