Research conducted by the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS) indicates that around 70% of adults in the United States have at least one tooth missing. People can lose teeth in an accident, due to tooth decay, age, gum disease, etc. Dentists always aim to preserve the natural teeth as much as possible, but sometimes the loss is inevitable.
Fortunately, dentists can provide various treatment options for people with missing teeth. Patients can opt for dental implants or dentures, both of which are practical solutions for this concern.
Call Us at (715) 472-2211 Today!
At Luck Dental Clinic, we have worked with both implants and dentures for several years now. We understand how treatments work and how effective they can be. Our dentist will study a patient’s past and current oral health carefully before recommending a treatment. The dentist will also take the time to explain your treatment options in detail so you can make the right decisions.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are temporary prosthetic teeth that are placed on top of the gums and can be removed at night. They’re not the most ideal replacements for natural teeth and can compromise the patient’s lifestyle considerably. Here are some things you need to know about dentures:
- They are temporary, so you will have to remove them, clean them, and place them back in your mouth every day. Lack of proper hygiene will lead to severe infections.
- Full dentures replace a full set of upper or lower teeth.
- Partial dentures only replace missing teeth and are anchored around existing natural teeth.
- Dentures can limit taste as they cover a large section of the palate. This can severely compromise a patient’s lifestyle and impact their eating habits.
- Without natural teeth, the jaw bone and muscles supporting it will shrink to help maintain the structure. This can alter the person’s facial features and eventually make it difficult for them to bite or chew.
Modern dentists will recommend dentures to patients only if their jawbone and gums are weak. They will recommend dental implants to patients with a strong jaw because that is a much better treatment option.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are posts made of titanium. They are embedded into the jawbone and form a base or root for prosthetic teeth like crowns and bridges. These implants are permanent and resilient. The titanium post bonds with the surrounding bone matter to become a part of the jaw structure. The crowns and bridges placed over the posts look like natural teeth and are more resilient than dentures. Here’s a look at some facts you need to know about dental implants:
- Implants are as close as you can get to natural teeth. They allow patients to continue their lifestyle and eat solid or crispy items without worry.
- Dental implants are permanent and can’t be removed. Patients need to follow regular dental hygiene to keep them clean.
- Patients can get a full or partial set of prosthetic teeth affixed to the implants. There’s no need to get a post for every tooth as a single implant can support more than one tooth.
- These posts can only be placed in a jaw with strong bone matter. If there are too much bone and tissue loss, the dentist might have to perform grafting before the implant procedure.
It is essential to make an informed decision if you want to get implants. This can be a lengthy procedure and will require several weeks of healing. The dentist will have to remove any residual dental matter from the site of the missing tooth before they can place implants.
If you want to know more about dentures, dental implants or need to book an appointment, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Luck Dental Clinic. You can call 715 472 2211 today or contact us through this form.